Welcome note

When my husband and I set out to find and take pictures of wheelchair accessible waterfalls in every U.S. state, we were excited about the challenge. We gave ourselves no time limit to accomplish our feat; however, we had one mutually agreed upon rule that dictated how long we would stay in any given area. That rule was to never shiver again. Needless to say, adhering to this rule presented a new challenge. The new challenge was to find a waterfall that was actually flowing. Visiting mid-west and eastern states during months that prevented us from shivering are the same months that are hot enough to dry up streams; hence, little or no water flow for waterfalls. The natural scenery and picturesque landscapes warrant a second visit in the early spring right after the snow melts.

Bob and Jan

Bob and Jan
Christmas Eve

Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bob spoke to me!

The day has finally arrived! Bob talked to me today. His trach was decreased in size and a piece was put on the outside that allows air to enter through the trach, but exit through the mouth. This new piece allows him to talk. It took all day of coaxing, but he finally did it in the evening. I was trying to get him to sing, "ma me mi mo mu". He said, "I'm short of breath." After a brief explanation, he said, "It's not so bad." I was so excited. I could hardly hear him, because I was cheering him on. I wanted to carry on a lenthy conversation with him. His response time after being asked a question is about 20 seconds. So, image not talking to him for two months; I wanted to have a two-month conversation in the first ten seconds.


Earlier today, he was mouthing the words to "Miles and Miles of Texas". I think he amazed himself. He had a huge smile on his face after he did so.


The following prayer was sent to me by a friend.

Saint Theresa's Prayer
May today there be peace within
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be confident knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.


email: jiachini@msn.com
stroke info: http://www.strokeassociation.org/
VIBRA Specialty Hospital: 10300 NE Hancock St., Portland, OR 97220 Rm

1 comment:

John Beckord said...

Jan,

This is great news. Let me know when he gets to the point that a telephone conversation is doable. Tell Bob I check the blog every day to monitor his progress. And tell him to close his eyes and tip his head down next time he is having his picture taken with a guitar in his hands.:) It would look more authentic since that is how I remember him looking while playing bass. Also, tell him that I tend to write music and lyrics in my head before I actually try getting the ideas to ooze out of my fingers and mouth. My challenge is for him to compose some songs so that when he gets to the point of being able to play that guitar again, those songs will be one of the silver linings of this experience. And here is my suggested hook for the chorus of one such song: "When the sun rises on a very long, very dark night. (pause) I will be a better person 'cause I had to put up such hard fight."

John