Welcome note

When my husband and I set out to find and take pictures of wheelchair accessible waterfalls in every U.S. state, we were excited about the challenge. We gave ourselves no time limit to accomplish our feat; however, we had one mutually agreed upon rule that dictated how long we would stay in any given area. That rule was to never shiver again. Needless to say, adhering to this rule presented a new challenge. The new challenge was to find a waterfall that was actually flowing. Visiting mid-west and eastern states during months that prevented us from shivering are the same months that are hot enough to dry up streams; hence, little or no water flow for waterfalls. The natural scenery and picturesque landscapes warrant a second visit in the early spring right after the snow melts.

Bob and Jan

Bob and Jan
Christmas Eve

Total Pageviews

Friday, December 25, 2009

Strength to muddle through...

Over the years, I've thought about what Christmas was supposed to mean, but my thoughts could focus on the subject for only a few minutes, because I was always caught up in the chaos of my dysfunctional life.


This year, however, I had time to ponder about Christmas' meaning. I thought about what all of the symbols, both tangible and intangible, represent. Things like presents, miracles, strength, birth, hope, good-will, wrapping paper, ribbons, and bows are a few symbols that have new meaning this year.


When asked by my kids what I wanted for Christmas, I gave the answer that many parents give. I said, "Oh, nothing". You know, I already received the best present anyone can get. My gift is my T and my kids are alive.


Looking at the survival statistics of people who had brain aneurysms, one's mouth would drop. 50% die before getting to the hospital, and 25% of the survivors die within six months. Bob is a miracle. He gives me strength to muddle through any problem I may be facing. My problems are mere specks of dust compared to what he went through and what he has to face this coming year.


This is a new birth-year for Bob. We, both, will be relearning and giving new meaning to what is important to us in life. The prettiest package wrapped in glittery wrapping paper with a big ribbon and bow could not deliver the best present of all...the people that make my world worth being here on this earth. And, my present doesn't come wrapped!


T spent the day with us. We picked him up at 11am and took him back to the VA around 4pm. We maneuvered to the bathroom easily, got on and off the "pot" without a hitch, well sort-of. We ate lots of food and pies until our belts needed unhooked. I even got a thumbs-up when Daniel started his Harley for him to remember the distinct Harley Davidson sound. Soon, he will be home permanently. He said he had a wonderful day. By the end of the day, though, he was ready to go back to the VA and get in his bed.


Bob Pirie Fund: Many of Bob's friends have expressed that they wanted to help by donating to a fund that will help with Bob's medical expenses. I have set up a Bob Pirie Fund at Umpqua Bank here in Roseburg. If you are interested in making a contribution, you can mail a check to: Umpqua Bank
Bob Pirie Fund
445 SE Main Street
Roseburg, OR 97470
c/o Caryn Martin, Universal Associate

Thank you in advance for your support and contribution.

A PRAYER FOR TODAY
"Heavenly Father, thank You for the strength to make it through any challenge I may face. I choose to put my trust in You. I declare that You are good and thank You for working behind the scenes on my behalf. In Jesus' Name. Amen."

Have you checked out travel-mobility.com yet? Check out our new website. Pass it on too. We'd appreciate it. If you'd like an online home business of your own, go to the website, click on Become a Rep.

Jill Bolte Taylor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU It'll make you cry, it's so amazing.
email
stroke info
aneurysm info
VA Healthcare System, Transitional Care Unit, 913 NW Garden Valley Blvd, Roseburg, OR 97470 Room 106

No comments: