Welcome note

When my husband and I set out to find and take pictures of wheelchair accessible waterfalls in every U.S. state, we were excited about the challenge. We gave ourselves no time limit to accomplish our feat; however, we had one mutually agreed upon rule that dictated how long we would stay in any given area. That rule was to never shiver again. Needless to say, adhering to this rule presented a new challenge. The new challenge was to find a waterfall that was actually flowing. Visiting mid-west and eastern states during months that prevented us from shivering are the same months that are hot enough to dry up streams; hence, little or no water flow for waterfalls. The natural scenery and picturesque landscapes warrant a second visit in the early spring right after the snow melts.

Bob and Jan

Bob and Jan
Christmas Eve

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's always good to learn...

I learned something new today. I learned that there is a difference between bales of hay and bales of straw. All you farmers from the Midwest probably think I'm such a dumb a$$.

Anyway, for those of you who don't know the difference, straw is not a food source, but hay is. The subject came up when I saw a bale of something at the edge of our yard. Our yard butts up against a farmers field. I asked Bob why a farmer would put a bale of straw close to our house. The cattle don't wander down the field that far. Bob told me that cows don't eat straw. I asked, "What do the eat?" He said, "Hay." "What's the difference between the two?" He proceeded to tell me that hay is a food source; straw is not. Straw is used to soak up pee and poop; hay is for feeding. "OH" "Magine that." Our rabbits ate straw. Then again, the rabbits ate our furniture too. :-/

Bob's email
Jan's email

No comments: