Welcome note

When my husband and I set out to find and take pictures of wheelchair accessible waterfalls in every U.S. state, we were excited about the challenge. We gave ourselves no time limit to accomplish our feat; however, we had one mutually agreed upon rule that dictated how long we would stay in any given area. That rule was to never shiver again. Needless to say, adhering to this rule presented a new challenge. The new challenge was to find a waterfall that was actually flowing. Visiting mid-west and eastern states during months that prevented us from shivering are the same months that are hot enough to dry up streams; hence, little or no water flow for waterfalls. The natural scenery and picturesque landscapes warrant a second visit in the early spring right after the snow melts.

Bob and Jan

Bob and Jan
Christmas Eve

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Duty...

Bob's Celebration of Life party went well. Believe it or not he didn't cry too much. It was nice to see all of his friends show up. As Bob entered the room, everyone stood and sang "For he's a jolly good fellow". It was perfect.

I was so wrapped up in my t that I did thank everyone. I didn't have Paster Daryl say grace before eating. Am I bad?

A few weeks ago, I came across an in-depth meaning of the word duty. This is a good to time to discuss it. Why? Because, I'm bad at taking compliments on something I consider to be my honor and privilege - being caregiver to my t.

Duty: conveys a sense of moral commitments to someone or something. The moral commitment is the sort that results in action and is not a matter of passive feeling or mere recognition. Duty commits without considering the self-interest of the action. It does not suggest that living life of duty precludes one from the best sort of life, but duty does involve some sacrifice of immediate self-interest.

Ciero, an early philosopher, said that duties come from different sources. One, a result of one's personality and another from one's own moral expectations for yourself.

When duty is put that way, it's not an obligation or a responsibility. It's a privilege to be able to fulfill my duty as caregiver to Bob.

No comments: