Welcome note

When my husband and I set out to find and take pictures of wheelchair accessible waterfalls in every U.S. state, we were excited about the challenge. We gave ourselves no time limit to accomplish our feat; however, we had one mutually agreed upon rule that dictated how long we would stay in any given area. That rule was to never shiver again. Needless to say, adhering to this rule presented a new challenge. The new challenge was to find a waterfall that was actually flowing. Visiting mid-west and eastern states during months that prevented us from shivering are the same months that are hot enough to dry up streams; hence, little or no water flow for waterfalls. The natural scenery and picturesque landscapes warrant a second visit in the early spring right after the snow melts.

Bob and Jan

Bob and Jan
Christmas Eve

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Recovery never stops...

My son told me that he spoke with a person whose wife had a few strokes, and that where she was mentally six months after her stroke is all the better she'll recover. (At least, that's what medical doctors and many books have said.) I've heard that so many times, but I don't believe it for one second. If I settled for the level of mental and physical ability Bob was at six months ago, I would have been doing such a dis-service to Bob. How sad would that have been?

I spoke with the only positive medical person that I've come in contact with yesterday. She told me, I need to take Bob back to the VA in Roseburg to show the "Team" of caregivers that there is progression after six months for aneurysm survivors. Then, return next year and the next and then, the next. Not giving up or settling for "as is" not only is an option for the well-being of the survivor, but also for the well-being of the caregiver.

How do I stay so positive? Good question! I believe it has been years upon years of self-assessments and all of the negative life experiences that helped me sort out what I have control over and what I don't. Listening to Jill Bolte-Taylor and Joel Osteen CDs over and over keep me positive too. Bob is such a positive person. That has a huge influence too.

The six-week IV therapy is done! 4:00 today, I detached the tube, shut off the power pack, and put the bag back in the box. Bob was excited. He said he's ready to feel normal. HA! ME TOO!

No comments: